Friday, May 28, 2010

Jobs II

So, I had this job interview yesterday and was feeling all keyed up about it. Haven't been on an interview in a while and not since I got away from the Wizard at the hospital. So I made up a fake briefcase and got into my suit and polished my shoes, stepped out looking like a nice strac. Parked my truck a couple of blocks away off the main street. I thought the walk would help me get my thoughts straight, let me go over what I thought would happen in my head and give me a chance to relax. Usually, I'm very tense when I first step out of my truck, feels too much like I'm stepping out of the Humvee with a hundred targets on my back. That was always the most vulnerable time in the streets.

So, I started walking and trying to not sweat too much and not be too distracted by the office girls out on the streets. A big black sedan went past slowly, I almost didn't notice since it was on the other side of the street but as it passed, it sped up. I followed it as it slowed and pulled a u-turn and parked in a spot on the street. I know it sounds crazy, but I stepped into the doorway of Schumann's Shoes and watched it from the shadows.

Nobody got out.

The damn suit was so uncomfortable, felt as hot and as heavy as body armor and I just wanted to rip it off. Even in the shade I was sweating. I knew I had to move, that it was just a car and no reason for me to be nervous but I couldn't move. I knew that if I didn't move Lewis would be all over my ass as would the lady from the VA that set this all up. I steeled myself, waited for a couple of businessmen to pass and shadowed behind them. I kept one eye on black sedan and one eye on building numbers and came to an expected result. The car was parked directly in front of the building that I was going to.

I stopped about three doors down and pretended to be interested in whatever crap was for sale in the window. I watched them in the reflection and felt all prickly down my spine. There were two figures in the front seat in black suits. I felt certain they were looking directly at me even though it was impossible to see their eyes behind their dark sunglasses. The longer I stood there, the more my mind imagined and I felt a great pressure building around me. It was like when we'd be waiting at checkpoint for a couple of towelheads to approach and you just knew they were going to be trouble.

I couldn't stand it anymore and had to move. I stepped away from the storefront and shook my head in mock disbelief. Pretending to have forgotten something, I turned and headed back the way I came and trying to be casual about it but feeling totally on edge. I kept walking cool and calm, keeping my eyes focused on the sidewalk and being prepared to dive away from the street.

By the time I reached the truck my legs ached and I was drowning in my suit. It took me a whole thirty minutes to be calm enough to start up and drive away. The whole ride home, I kept looking in the rear view mirror for the black sedan but nothing seemed to be following me.

Who were they? Why were they there? It was a simple sales job so why would they want to stop me?

I'll keep you posted

-Soldier Z

No comments:

Post a Comment